Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Final Weigh In....and what I've learned...

So we've reached the end of this semester (16 weeks)...

To recap, my goal was to lose 15 lbs... but this goal would include the following components:

Nutrition/Eating habits:
1) eat less junk food & carbohydrates (i.e. rice, pasta, cookies, cakes, etc.)
2) eat more healthier foods, including fruits, vegetables, and tofu
3) decrease consumption of sugar-filled coffee drinks
4) decrease food consumption in general; stop eating when full

Physical Activity:
1) increase my overall strength and endurance
2) get in shape; tone my body; increase my muscle mass; decrease my fat mass

In order to achieve my goals, I plan on making small changes here and there, so as to make the transition easier and longer-lasting.  I plan to:

1) cut all meals in half or thirds prior to eating, and only eat one portion at a time to ensure I stop when I am full (otherwise I just eat everything without noticing whether I am full or not)
2) limit my intake of carbohydrates, sweets, and junk food while still allowing a small amount occasionally to decrease the chances of binge eating or non-compliance
3) make sure I eat at least one serving of fruits/vegetables per meal
4) only drink half my coffee, and reserve for days when I really need it
5) take the stairs throughout my workday at the hospital; avoid using the elevator when possible
6) exercise 4-5 times a week, at least 30 minutes each time (i.e. walk dogs, exercise videos, etc); preferably immediately upon getting home so that I avoid getting too lazy

In regards to making these changes... I managed to keep up with cutting meals in half, limiting carbohydrates/sweets/junk food intake, eating more fruits/veggies, and drinking less coffee for only about half of the semester.  I still continue to take the stairs throughout most of my workday... But in the past few weeks, I have gone back to eating regular sized meals, and decreasing my workouts to just 1-2 times a week.  I have not done P90X in about 2 weeks... which is not ideal.  But I still continue to go to dance class for a workout despite being busy, as dance is much more enjoyable and is a restorative activity for me as well.

What I've learned is that behavior change is REALLY hard... even with all the "small changes" I said I'd try to make... I only managed to maintain a few of those "small" changes for the full 16 weeks.  But I also found that things got much easier as I started to lose weight and gain muscle from working out. It's like an upward spiral... because once you get in the habit of working out, you feel 'gross' not working out.  So I feel gross at the moment, and look forward to getting on track with working out again once I survive this hellish week... even though I know how grueling the workouts can be.

Though I didn't meet all my goals... this is what I have managed to accomplish:
1) I have dropped almost one dress or pant size...
2) I've started to include more fruits and veggies into my diet again
3) I've definitely decreased my sugar-filled coffee intake compared to before this assignment
4) I take the stairs at work most the day.
5) I exercise/work out multiple times a week in general.
6) And finally.... my final weight is 1*5.2 lbs... (this was taken on a different scale than before because my scale broke... so my true weight will probably be even a little bit less than this...) which means over the course of this 16 week class, I've lost around 9.2 lbs (possibly a little more due to the difference in scales... I know that my scale weighs a little heavier than the one I had to use for this final weigh in).... granted the last few lbs I dropped might be from losing some of my muscle mass over the past couple weeks...

But, overall, I'm proud of myself, and I am motivated to continue on this track of eating better, and exercising more. I feel better, happier, more healthy, and more vibrant.

Thanks to Dr. A for having us do this assignment... it really was a push in the right direction at the right time for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment